Typical Steps in Electroplating Process
This is the process for plating steel aerospace parts with cadmium.
- Step 1 Cleaning: surface must be free of contaminants for bonding to take place.
- Step 2: Rinsing and dry (if needed)
- Step 3: Acid cleaning and etching: Sand blasting with aluminum oxide will roughen up the surface so that the plating metal adheres better.
- Step 4. Rinsing (if needed)
- Step 5. Conversion Coating or Plating
- Step 6: Water Rinsing (1 minute)
- Step 7: Chemical Rinsing to make parts more rust resistant
- Step 8: Rinse in Hot Water